21 January 2009

Everyone's talking about Obama

Busy, busy days at work. I have no time for absolutely nothing, no quickie breaks for YouTube time, or blogging time. I fear my neck and my wrists will atrophize soon if I continue like this.

But in the midst of all this, with this Obamania going on, I feel compelled to write something about this. And then...I realise I don't have much to say about anything politics-related.

What I can say for sure is that I don't like Obama because I don't like the way his jaws and his lips are set, it makes him look very arrogant. And he's just too smooth, and that coupled with the unfortunate fact that he's a guy AND a politician makes him very, very undeserving of trust. Very non-political reasons as you can see.

The one thing I like about him though is that he collects Spiderman and Conan comics. Very reassuring to know that if I were to meet the President of the United States, we wouldn't wholly be without a common point of interest to have some intellectual discussion about. I know Conan like I know the back of my hand.

And did you all watch the inauguration last night? Acceptance speech - I don't get what everyone's ooh-ing ahhh-ing about. But I sure liked the way Michelle looked at her husband the entire time he was taking the oath. But I thought it was weird how she kept her eyes open and darted her eyes around during the opening and closing prayers.

But what I liked best was Reverend Rick Warren's opening prayer. It touched me so intensely that I broke out in goosebumps. And I think that in the inauguration program, the first item was a Reverend praying to God committing their leader and the country to God was just.so.beautiful. Even though I found it a little funny to see the many thousands of American people who one generally takes to be a godless lot :P - staying hushed and respectful during the prayers.

"When we focus on ourselves, when we fight each other, when we forget you, forgive us.
When we presume that our greatness and our prosperity is ours alone, forgive us."

Just beautiful.

Now if there ever comes a day that something like this happens in India, my faith in the country and our leaders will be restored.

And I also want to report that everything good in the world is happening to me and I don't know why God is so good to me but He is and I'm happy and thankful. But scared too, that when things are just too good, they might just crash? But I really wouldn't mind being stuck in this particular period of my life forever. I think.. :)

5 comments:

mydh said...

what's an indian equivalent of the obama phenomena though?

Sekibuhchhuak said...

beautiful moment !

Anonymous said...

"When we focus on ourselves, when we fight each other, when we forget you, forgive us.
When we presume that our greatness and our prosperity is ours alone, forgive us."
Just beautiful.

He's the guy who wrote "The Purpose Driven Life". I remember telling you to get a copy of this "wonderful" book...hope you got yours when you went home? :)

Why Obama? What's the big deal (apart from him being the first black president, apart from his eloquence etc etc)?
Here's why (my take actually) :)

- The first President sworn in using the Lincoln Bible since its initial use in 1861. Why use this bible? To celebrate America's unity (remember Lincoln abolishing the slave trade etc?)
2002: He was 'literally' a nobody,
2003: State legislature mai2 ala ni
2009: The most 'most powerful man on earth'.
For a person who has been in politics for ONLY 6 years, that is a meteoric rise (for pessimists that's a bit scary). Now, have you ever heard of a such a meteoric rise in any country's politics?

I could go on and on...I don't like this man because of the media hype surrounding him, I just LOVE him and I think you know that very well! :)

Almostunreal said...

obama hi ka hne ltk...a hmui te hi chonghuliana hmui rong a copy..lol

virgochhas said...

harry potter bu 7 a chhiar vek :)

i like him

i love Dr. Warren's prayer too..