Now that I've blogged enough about my 'baby' sister's marriage, I've had many questions about when I get to do it (as expected). It's difficult because like Macavity says, all the good men are either married, gay, priests, dead, or Vampires.
See, the thing here is, it's easy for some because the kind of things they look for in a man are maybe a bit more realistic and therefore easier to find (and I mean that in a good way). While there are these unfortunate, stupid few who can't shake their dreams of romance and everlasting love and dancing under the stars and are, therefore, doomed to wander longer, if not for their entire lifetimes on earth. What I mean here when I say what women really want are what those unfortunate women want. I'll tell you what those crazy women want because I'm one of them.
On one of my travels, I met this lovely couple from Israel - Anat & Arieh. Anat is actually Italian and so they love and eat a lot of Italian food. Before her mom passed away, Anat's mom gave all her secret recipes to Arieh instead of her own daughter! "Cook for her" she told him, and they're in their late 50s now and Arieh has been faithfully cooking Italian food for Anat ever since. And that's the kind of story I want for myself.
And what else do I and the rest of those unfortunate women want? Not all that complicated really....
- We don't want you to cross oceans for us. We only want you to swim just two miles across a lake for us. Swim across forbidden lakes, defy governments and house arrests to be with us. (Apparently, someone's been reading the news :))
- Fly across the planet because you suddenly realise the world may end anytime and you think it would be sad to never get to be with me before it ended ;) (I'm winking at you Hellboy :))
- And do small, easy things. Like using my name as your password.
- Love my dog. Or my cat. Or my goldfish. Or my parakeet. Or my pet snake. Not for their sake, but because you love me.
- Write me a poem. Or a song. However crappy it may be. Let the grammar and the syntax be all off, but write me one anyway.
- Strengthen my belief in myself and God. All too often I see couples where the women become increasingly neurotic and insecure as the relationship wears on. And all too often, for some reason or the other, God becomes a distant 'third party' in your lives.
- Make me a better person by treating my family and friends like they're better than you.
- Ask me to dance with you in the rain. Wake me up in the middle of the night to dance with you under the stars.
- Run through the water sprinklers with me on a hot summer day without worrying about looking stupid and what people think.
- Go shopping with me, and pretend you don't hate it so much. Even if you do.
- Write me letters sometimes (not emails, real paper letters). Even if we see each other every damn day.
- And still woo me and read me poetry when I am old and gray and full of sleep...
And I can go on and on...as I'm sure all my similar-feathered friends will have their own inexhaustive lists. But hey, none of them are that difficult are they? Nothing about diamonds or fast cars or fancy homes.
Just real love and real men.
(And don't mention reading too many Mills & Boon novels. I've only read one, or two at the most in my life!)